Mike is passionate about representing individuals who have experienced catastrophic, life changing injuries and representing families who have lost a loved one due to the negligence of others. Mike takes time to genuinely understand what our clients and their families are going through and ensures that our clients receive the advice and support they need while he advocates for a fair and equitable result for them.
- Christine Houston
Mike practices in our Litigation & Dispute Resolution Group and represents clients in personal injury matters. Mike is a strong advocate for his clients’ interests; he has earned a reputation for creating successful negotiation and settlement strategies and he has built an especially busy practice where he represents clients in complex legal disputes.
In addition to representing clients in Mediation and Judicial Dispute Resolution hearings, Mike has successfully advocated on his clients’ behalf in all levels of the Alberta Courts, including the Provincial Court of Alberta, the Court of King’s Bench of Alberta and the Alberta Court of Appeal.
Mike has won several contentious cases in the Alberta Courts. A few years ago, the Court of Queen’s Bench of Alberta awarded Mike’s client significant damages in his claim against a major grocery store where he slipped and fell on an unclean floor, tearing his rotator cuff. The grocery store was found 100% responsible for this incident. Also, Mike won a major litigation dispute involving a real estate deal that saw an elderly individual taken advantage of and made to enter into an agreement to sell his house for well below market value. In arguing that the sale was invalid, our client was able to maintain his home.
After earning his Bachelor of Commerce degree from McMaster University in Hamilton and graduating with Honours, Mike completed law school at the University of Windsor in 2008. He returned to Calgary to practice law with his father, Victor Vogel KC and the rest of the team at Vogel LLP.
Mike is a leader in the Calgary legal profession, sitting on the executive committee on the Personal Injury Subsection of the Canadian Bar Association’s Southern Alberta Branch. Previously he volunteered on the executive of the Young Lawyers Subsection. Earlier in his career, Mike successfully raised over $75,000 as Chair of the Calgary Anne Frank Exhibit Committee as he oversaw a team that brought this prestigious exhibit for over 10,000 students to visit at City Hall in Calgary. Mike has also served as a director of the Learning Disabilities Association and organizes our firm’s participation in fundraising and community events throughout the year.
Court of King’s Bench of Alberta
- Swagar v Loblaws Inc. (The Real Canadian Superstore), 2014 ABQB 58
- Elbow River Marketing Limited Partnership v. Canada Clean Fuels Inc., 2012 ABQB 277
- Elbow River Marketing Limited Partnership v. Canada Clean Fuels Inc., 2011 ABQB 321
Alberta Court of Appeal
- Elbow River Marketing Limited Partnership v. Canada Clean Fuels Inc., 2012 ABCA 328
- Elbow River Marketing v. Canada Clean Fuels Inc., 2011 ABCA 258
Supreme Court of British Columbia
- Member, Law Society of Alberta
- Member, Calgary Bar Association
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Executive, Canadian Bar Association, Personal Injury Section
- Past Director, Learning Disabilities Association
- LL.B., University of Windsor
- International Business Law Certificate, Queen’s University – International Study Centre
- B.Comm. (Hon.), McMaster University
- Admitted to the Law Society of Alberta, 2009.