Interesting Distracted Driving Facts
- CTV News — The number of deaths from distracted driving are on track to double the number of fatalities related to impaired driving…
- Rates.ca — Distracted Driving is now the number one risk on Canadian roads contributing to 8 in 10 collisions.
- National Safety Council Statistics — About 26% of all car crashes involve phone use, including hands-free phone use.
- Virginia Tech Transportation Institute, 2010 — Drivers who text are 23 times more likely to be involved in a crash or near crash compared with non-distracted drivers.
- Insurance Bureau of Canada — Nearly 3 out of 4 Canadian drivers admit to driving distracted. You are 23 times more likely to crash if you text while driving.
- ThinkInsure.ca — Dialing your phone increase your chances of an accident by 2.8 times.
- ThinkInsure.ca — Smartphones are the most common form of distraction for drivers.
- ThinkInsure.ca — … it’s estimated that about 11 teens die every day as a result of texting and driving. (US statistic)
- ThinkInsure.ca — … texting while driving is 6 times more likely to cause an accident than driving drunk.
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (US) — In 2015 alone, 3,477 people were killed, and 391,000 were injured in motor vehicle crashes involving distracted drivers.
- NPR — When Apple’s iOS 11 update comes out this fall, it will include a “Do Not Disturb While Driving” mode.
Note: each of the above are direct quotes are from the articles listed below.
Last but not least
Wikipedia — Canada ranks 62 in a list of 72 countries for the number of cellphone numbers per 100 people.
CTV News – http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/distracted-driving-resulting-in-nearly-twice-as-many-deaths-as-impaired-opp-1.3050230
NPR – http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/06/06/531777684/apple-takes-on-distracted-driving-with-new-feature
EndDD (End Distracted Driving) – http://www.enddd.org/end-distracted-driving/
Canadian Automotive Association – https://www.caa.ca/distracted-driving/statistics/
Insurance Bureau of Canada – http://www.ibc.ca/qc/auto/risk-management/distracted-driving
ThinkInsure.ca – https://www.thinkinsure.ca/insurance-help-centre/texting-and-driving.html
Rates.ca – https://rates.ca/resources/distracted-driving-infographic
Wikipedia – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_number_of_mobile_phones_in_use